What to Take with You When Travelling with Braces
When you’re going on holidays, the last thing you need to worry about is your braces. So if you come across an orthodontic emergency or something feels loose or broken, don’t panic. You yourself might be able to temporarily solve the problem until you’re able to come back and see us.
- If you have a wire that’s poking you in the gum or cheek, place some wax on it to ease the discomfort. Or use a blunt instrument like a pencil eraser to push the wire out of the way.
- If you have a loose bracket or band but it’s still attached to the wire, then just place wax on it for the time being to make it more comfortable. If the bracket or band has fallen off then as a last resort, use nail clippers to cut the excess wire off. But please be careful not to cut yourself with the clippers.
- If you have a loose or long wire, try to use a pair of tweezers and put the wire back into place. If you can’t replace the wire, then try to cover it with wax. If that still doesn’t help, then as a last resort use nail clippers to cut the excess wire off. But please be careful not to cut yourself with the clippers.
- If you have general soreness, understand that this is totally normal. When you first get your braces on or have a wire change, you may feel a general tenderness in your mouth. This may be anywhere from 1-7 days. If the tenderness however is severe, take whichever pain killer medication you would normally take for a headache. You may also find that the lips, cheeks and tongue may become irritated for a few weeks also as they become accustomed to the braces. If that’s the case, then place some wax on the braces that are irritating you and use warm salty mouth rinses.
Here’s a list of a few things to take with you when you travel to ensure you have everything needed to continue to care for your braces.
Braces Travel Kit
- Toothbrush, toothpaste
- Superfloss, Pikster brushes, Toothpick
- Water bottle
- Orthodontic wax to help with discomfort
- Nail clippers if you need to clip the wire in an emergency
- Salt for salty mouthrinses
With your Braces Travel Kit you will be able to travel easily. So keep smiling and enjoy your holidays.